Today is the first official day of SPRING (wait, why is it still 30 degrees in Chicago?). As we welcome a new season I am excited to share this recipe for Lemony Almond Macaroons—light, sweet and easy to make.
Fall is my favorite season but spring is a close second. There is something to be said for the grass beginning to green, the tulips starting to pop, warmer temperatures setting in, a new set of seasonal produce to eat and not to mention light, springy desserts to nibble on.
This recipe has been bookmarked for some time now. This past weekend as I longed for spring I was compelled to try them out. Why have I waited so long? was the first question I asked myself. These are delicious and remind me of almond joys without the chocolate (recipe idea?).
There are many reasons that I think this recipe is a winner and something you should put on your list to try this spring. The recipe only calls for 6 ingredients so you aren’t adding too many extra items to your grocery list. Second, they are simple to make and only require a little measuring, mixing and baking.
These Lemony Almond Macaroons are gluten-free and perfect for those looking for a sweet to share for Passover or something to welcome spring.
The recipe makes 24 macaroons but you can easily half the recipe to make less (I have a hunch these would be gone in no time). I shared these with coworkers, our daycare provider and a few friends and they were a big hit.
Lemony Almond Macaroons are a light dessert that is easy to make.
- 1-14 oz package sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg whites
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, almonds, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Stir in egg whites.
- Drop mounds of the mixture (each equal to 2 Tbsp) onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (until edges begin to brown), switching the racks halfway through.
- Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or glass of milk.
Source: Real Simple Magazine
Spring temperatures may not be here but that doesn’t mean we can’t pretend…