Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a quick and easy soup you can throw in your slow cooker and forget about! Serve it with your favorite fixings and warm up on those cold winter nights!
Today I am sharing one of the freezer meals I made at the end of my pregnancy. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is on our regular rotation in my house. I always make it a little bit different and add a variety of garnish options to spice up the soup. I just love it.
Garnishes, in my opinion, add a lot to soups like this one or chili. The nice thing is you can set the bowls out so your guests can fix up their soup to their tastes. In our house we like freshly chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese, chopped fresh jalapenos and crispy tortilla strips.
When making this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup you just throw everything in, set the timer and forget about it until dinner. It doesn’t get much easier than that! If you have leftovers or want to make a double batch just let the soup completely cool on the counter then refrigerate it overnight. Once it is completely cool store it in glass Tupperware or freezer ziplock bags with the date and name of the soup on the outside and throw it in the freezer for later!
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2-16oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-15oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1-6oz can of tomato paste
- 1-4oz can chopped green chilies
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime Juice
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla strips
- Combine all ingredients except garnish in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- With 30 minutes left in the cooking time remove chicken and shred with a fork, return to slow cooker and finish cooking.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve warm.
For more delicious soups check out my Soups Pinterest board!