(If you signed up to receive emails from me I am sorry if you have received this post twice. There are still a few glitches with my website that I am working out.)
Pull up a chair and dig into this Sweet and Spicy Pretzel Mix.
Last week there were some issues with my website and I could not post any new recipes! There still are some glitches but I think we are on the road to recovery. It was frustrating…I realized how much we I rely on technology and just expect it to always be working. What did we do before email, facebook, twitter, texting?
Aside for the issues with my website, the countdown to Europe is in full swing—less than one month! I am so excited to go with my husband on this adventure, but obviously very sad to leave the little one behind. I know he is in good hands with the Grandparents though. I have started to freak out a little bit with all of the planning that this trip entails and just making sure everything is in order (that’s a little bit of my OCD side coming out ). I studied abroad in Spain for a summer in college but other than that haven’t done much traveling in Europe. This is my husband’s first time in Europe—if this trip is anything like our other trips together I think we might have some stories to share once we are back (yes, we are the couple that got lost in Panama in the rain forest in 100 degree weather, no cell phone and in flip flops—scary then but a funny story now, one I will have to share with you all soon).
Now for the real reason you are here: Sweet and Spicy Pretzel Mix. A great snack when you are on the go, or a great thing to bring to a get together or party.
If you like salty and sweet snacks this is right up your alley with a little spice mixed in. My husband thought this pretzel mix was too spicy, but I beg to differ. If you are of the “less spicy” camp then cut the red pepper in half or remove it all together. This recipe is very customizable!
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped and divided
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground red pepper
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cups almonds
- 1 ½ Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups tiny pretzels (unsalted or salted)
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine brown sugar, 1 tsp. thyme, salt, cinnamon and red pepper (optional) in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine the pecans and almonds on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Baked at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes, or until the nuts begin to brown.
- Combine the nut mixture and butter in a medium bowl, stirring until the butter melts.
- Stir in the pretzels and syrup. Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over pretzel and nut mixture and toss gently with tongs or two wooden spoons.
- Spread the pretzels evenly in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Sprinkle the remaining thyme over the cooked pretzel mixture.
- Cool completely and serve at a party, or eat as a snack on the go. Store in an air tight container.
Source: Cooking Light