School is back in full swing and fall is in the air!
When I think of fall I think of tailgating (more for the food and beer than the football), pumpkin everything, warm and comfy sweaters, brisk fall air, apple picking, apple cider—ok apple anything! Fall means this and so much more…I just love it!
This Three Bean Fire Roasted Chili screams fall to me! You can serve it at the tailgate, on a cold fall night, as leftovers for lunch or to warm everyone up after apple picking. What makes this chili even better? You make it in the slow cooker—which is music to my ears–especially on those extra busy days.
I really like the flavor of fire roasted tomatoes—it gives this chili a bold flavor and the beans make it a hearty vegetarian dish.
Serves: A group
- 1-16oz can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-16oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-16oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1-6oz can tomato paste
- 1-15oz can tomato sauce
- 1-4oz can green chilies (mild)
- 1-14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1-16oz can of water (optional depending on how thick or thin you like your chili)
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with garnishes of your choice include cheese, green onions, cilantro and a touch of sour cream.
- Store remaining chili in the refrigerator.
Have a great weekend!