I hope you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
Mine was filled with a quick coffee date with my husband before work, beautiful flowers from him and a walk with my son. I planned to cook up a nice dinner for Valentine’s Day but the crazy work week got the best of me and I was just plain exhausted when I got home last night. All I wanted for Valentine’s Day was to spend time with my son and husband and go enjoy a meal out. Do you ever have those days?
We ended up going to one of my favorite local Mexican restaurants and
ate devoured delicious salsa, tacos & sipped a couple of margaritas. That is a good Valentine’s Day in my book.
Now on to these yummy zucchini fries. Do you need to encourage your kids to eat more veggies? Do you need to eat more veggies yourself?
These are your answer!
You can use panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs for these zucchini fries. Are you not a fan of zucchini? This recipe would work great for other vegetables like squash or eggplant.
You can eat these zucchini fries plain but I think they taste even better with a little dipping sauce. Check out some of the dips I found around the web that I think would be great for these. I made the spicy alioli dip and really liked the added spice.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 ½ Tbsp. all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ c dried plain breadcrumbs (regular or panko)
- 2 medium uncooked zucchini
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (for crispier) or 425 degrees for those that like their fries less crispy.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or use aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt and set aside. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and set aside. Place the 2 large eggs (the whites) in a separate dish and set aside.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and then each half into 2 pieces width wise. Next slice each chunk into 4 fries.
- Dredge the zucchini into flour, then egg whites, then the breadcrumbs making sure all sides are coated with each.
- Place coated zucchini on baking sheet and repeat for all zucchinis.
- Roast for about 10 minutes on 500 degrees or 12 minutes on 425 (until desired crispiness) turning once.
Recipe Source: Weight Watchers
For dip ideas:
Spicy Alioli from My Recipes
Easy Alioli from Epicurious
Onion Dip from Alton Brown
Homemade Ranch Dressing from Pioneer Woman
Have a wonderful weekend!