A healthy, filling soup mixing 15 beans, vegetables and vegetable broth. Light enough for the summer and filling enough for the winter.
- 1 bag of 15 Bean Soup Beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 quarts water (8 cups)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1–15oz. can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium if possible)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans overnight.
- After soaking the beans overnight drain the water.
- In a large pot add beans with 2 quarts of water (8 cups) and brings beans to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- In a skillet add olive oil and sauté onions, garlic, celery and carrots.
- Add the onion mixture into the large pot and stir together with the beans. Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth and spices. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally adding water as necessary if the soup thickens up too much. Test beans to make sure they are soft and cooked through.
- Serve with warm French bread.