Make this delicious, creamy Avocado Hummus for your next party or just as a healthy snack !
Good Morning! I hope you had a nice weekend! Chicago had beautiful weather this weekend and we spent most of it planting our garden.
We are a little late to the game because of our trip to Europe but it is up and running growing. We also bought my son a water table to play with in the backyard. If you are a mom of a toddler I recommend you run out and buy one of these for the summer months. It is great entertainment for the kids while you get yard work done or maybe relax on the porch with a nice, cold drink and some Avocado Hummus and chips. 😉
If you remember a little while back I shared a recipe for White Bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip that was a hit in my household. The creaminess of white beans pairs great in dips and is healthy. Now that we are moving to hotter days in Chicago (thank god!) I make a lot of quick and easy dips, like this Avocado Hummus, to snack on while we are relaxing on the back porch.
Now don’t get me wrong I love plain old guacamole and could probably eat it every day if it was put in front of me. But in the spirit of trying new things I thought I would whip up a batch of this Avocado Hummus that I have been eyeing up from Giada De Laurentis (I love her recipes). While this isn’t the traditional hummus with tahini (the kind I grew up with), it is a creamy dip made using cannellini beans along with avocado, lime juice, garlic, arugula and flat leaf parsley. It is a great alternative to your normal guacamole and very creamy, like hummus.
We ate this dip with tortilla chips but I think it would also taste great with pita chips or maybe even crackers. We used the leftovers to spread on sandwiches throughout the week which was delicious and a great way to spice up your everyday sandwich.
The nice thing about dips like this is they are customizable. Giada used lemon in her recipe (while I used lime). You could add a little bit of onion, or maybe use cilantro instead of the parsley. That is the beauty of dips like this—you can make them your own and tailor them to your tastes. This Avocado Hummus is perfect as an appetizer or a snack anytime!
A creamy, healthy appetizer mixing avocado, cannelini beans, arugula, parsley and lime. Makes a great snack or spread on a sandwich.
- 1-15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large avocado, seeded and peeled, chopped into small sections
- 1/2 cup packed arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh flat leaf Italian parsley, stems removed
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/2 of a lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, extra to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, extra to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (more for creamier consistency)
- In a food processor combine beans, arugula, avocado, parsley, lime juice and zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse the mixture until it is coarsely chopped.
- Slowly add the olive oil while processing until the mixture becomes creamy. Add more olive oil if necessary to get to the consistency you want.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pita chips, crackers or chips or spread it on a sandwich.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container.
Recipe slightly adapted from Giada de Laurentis