- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped medium
- 1 medium Kabocha squash, seeded and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 cups warm chicken broth
- 1/2 grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a clean plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium high. Add onion and squash – cook until onion is lightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds. Add rice and cook , stirring until opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until liquid is completely absorbed. Return chicken to skillet and add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Transfer to a medium casserole dish.
- Pour broth over chicken and rice mixture. Cover casserole with lid or aluminum foil. Bake until all the liquid is absorbed – about 30 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan on top and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm.