A hearty chili that is a perfect mixture of spice and sweetness. Enjoy!
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeds removed, chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cups (1/2 inch) peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1–28 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 small can of green chilies
- 1–15 ounce can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1–15 ounce can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1–15 ounce can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion for garnish
- Heat a skillet or dutch oven, add olive oil and coat pan. Add onion and cook about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin, red pepper, paprika and garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add green pepper, green chilies, the Serrano pepper, butternut squash, and tomatoes (with juice), vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and simmer for 30 minutes or until slightly thick (stir occasionally throughout the simmering).
- Garnish with green onion and cheese or whatever you fancy.