This bistro chicken pasta salad is colorful and packed full of healthy veggies and protein. You will be able to serve a group or have leftovers to bring to eat throughout the week.
- 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled or broiled
- 2 cups cooked penne or rotini pasta (I used whole wheat-your choice)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato, drained & chopped
- 1/4 cup low sodium Italian dressing
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Boil water for the pasta.
- Bake or grill the chicken until cooked through. Cut into small cubes or pieces.
- Cook pasta per the directions on the package. Drain pasta when finished and allow to cool slightly (I do a quick rinse of the pasta with cold water to stop it from cooking once it is done).
- Combine the chicken, pasta, tomatoes, and dressing in a large bowl. Allow the dish to sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, before serving, to allow for full flavor development.
- Garnish with basil, chopped red onion and Parmesan cheese and mix well before serving.
For the dressing I eye balled this (it came out to about 1/4 cup). It really depends on how much dressing you like on your salad. Some people like more, some less. With pasta salad I feel like the recipes are very customizable to your tastes. If you are vegetarian, substitute chickpeas or black beans for chicken. If you do not like onion just take them out. It’s all about preferences.