Get your kids to eat their veggies with these carrot and zucchini muffins with the added sweetness of dried fruit and the crunch of nuts.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (I used dried cranberries, but you could use raisins, pineapple, ect)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole flax meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 6 cups of a muffin tin with muffin papers (or you could grease each cup).
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, salt and egg.
- Fold in the zucchini, carrots, nuts and dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add to the batter and stir until just combined (make sure not to over-stir).
- Divide the better in the prepared muffin cups and let the muffins rest for 10 minutes before putting in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 18-25 minutes until the edges are lightly browned and they feel firm when gently pressed (also try inserting a cake tester into the center which will come out clean when the muffins are done).
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and cool them in the pan for 10 minutes. Place on a rack and cool completely.