Cheesy Potato Ham Soup is comforting and perfect for the cold of winter. This hearty soup uses potatoes, leftover ham, vegetables and Greek Yogurt to create the perfect way to warm your family or guests up.
Tis the season for leftovers. Leftover ham. Leftover turkey.
When Thanksgiving and Christmas roll around each year we always have a big container of leftover ham or turkey after our big meal. I find myself looking for the perfect recipes to use my leftovers in. Soups are an easy way to use those leftovers and warm everyone up on those cold winter days.
This year Cheesy Potato Ham Soup was our answer and created a hearty meal for the family.
Here is what I did for this recipe:
I boiled the cut potatoes in a large pot until tender. While the potatoes are boiling cook the other vegetables, add everything together along with the greek yogurt (to make it extra creamy), puree the soup to your liking and top with the cooked ham. This is an easy recipe to have in your back pocket during the holidays and makes a great day after the big meal dish to serve your family.
You know me and my garnishes…this is another good excuse to load up the soup with yummy garnishes like chopped green onions and extra cheese. And more cheese. 😉Print
Cheesy Potato Ham Soup is comforting and perfect for the cold of winter. Use your leftover ham for the holidays in this easy soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional for extra spice)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 3 cups of Jones Dairy Farm Ham, cooked and cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: chopped green onion and cheese
- Boil cut potatoes in a large pot until tender when a fork is inserted, usually about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are boiling, heat olive oil in a medium skillet and sauté the onion and celery for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté for two more minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minutes.
- Slowly add in chicken broth, crushed red pepper oregano and continue to stir.
- Add cheese into soup and simmer until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Once potatoes are done add them into the soup.
- Add the greek yogurt and cooked ham and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and garnish with green onions and grated cheese.
My friends at Jones Dairy Farm are providing a promo code, provided below, which is good for 20% any online ham purchase made between December 1 and December 31, 2014.
Promo Code: JONES20
In order to receive hams in time for Christmas place your orders by December 17th by going to their online store.
For more soup recipes check out my Soup Pinterest board!
Today’s post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm. As always opinions are 100% my own.