Chicken Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is comfort food at its finest. Creamy, cheesy and hearty this is a great weeknight meal that will provide you leftovers for later in the week. Make this vegetarian easily by omitting the chicken and adding more vegetables in its place.
- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni pasta, cooked (or pasta of your choice)
- 3 cups broccoli, cooked, chopped
- 1 lb. chicken, cooked, shredded (you can use rotisserie)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoons mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked pasta, cooked broccoli and cooked shredded chicken.
- In a large pot heat the butter over medium heat stirring until melted. Add the flour and whisk until thick.
- Add the milk and simmer stirring to avoid burning. Add the paprika, dry mustard, garlic powder, 2 cups of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the chicken broccoli mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the panko begins to brown and the mac and cheese bubbles.
You can change this dish up by adding tuna instead of chicken or omit the meat and add additional vegetables.[br]Try whole wheat pasta for a healthier option.