This is my new favorite spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, you are going to love it!
It is Friday!!
I hope you have some fun & exciting things planned for the weekend! We have a Christmas party to go to on Saturday and we plan to check out Zoo Lights in Chicago (my son is in awe of Christmas lights now!). Tis the Season!
Also, if you haven’t entered to win some tasty treats from Trader Joe’s head over (click here) and enter to win! Who doesn’t need a few sweets for the holidays?
Now that it is colder out we eat a lot more soup in my house! I also came down with a little cold recently so I was on the hunt for a good spicy soup to help! This Chicken Tortilla Soup was perfect!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love Chicken Tortilla Soup but have to admit I always like it much more in the restaurant than when I make it. I just have not found a recipe that I love. Until now!
I thought I would give it one more try and FINALLY I think I found the one. My go to tortilla soup recipe.. My husband and I both really liked it. At first I was a little hesitant on the zucchini in tortilla soup but I think it worked perfectly and gets those extra veggies in there.
I found this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe on a wonderful blog called Sing for Your Supper. Amy cooks up some delicious stuff over there on her blog. I saw her post one day for this Chicken Tortilla Soup and pinned it to try out later.
Needless to say, I tried this Chicken Tortilla Soup out, loved it and think you should try it too! Throw a few yummy garnishes, tortilla strips, cheese and chunks of avocado on top, and you are ready to go!Print
Zesty chicken tortilla soup–just plain good!
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- half an onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- juice from 2 large limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in saucepan with over medium-high heat and coat, add onion and zucchini and sautee until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chile powder, salt and pepper and stir until fragrant.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the shredded chicken, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is heated through.
- Add the lime juice and taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite garnishes like avocado, cheese and cilantro. DIG IN!
The Chipotle Chili Powder is the spicy stuff–you want extra heat? throw in more.
Adapted from Sing for Your Supper
Man this blog makes me hungry—constantly! Maybe it is time to start an exercise blog to reverse the effects??
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SOUPS DURING THE COLD MONTHS? Share them in the comments below.
Linked up with Weekend Potluck at The Country Cook