Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup is full of the warm flavors of curry, turmeric, coriander and cumin paired with ginger, butternut squash and coconut milk to make a healthy, flavor filled soup.
Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
Have I told you about my addiction to soup? Those that know me well already know my love. I love so many things about soup: they are versatile and can be changed every time you make them and still taste great, they can be very healthy for you (especially when you are fighting a cold), they warm you up on those cold winter days and they pair well with a main dish or a big, healthy salad.
Today’s soup, Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup, has quickly become one of my new favorites along with this Moroccan Red Lentil Soup which I fell in love with last year. Both of these soups have rich, warm spices in them that really warms you up during the cold winter months. When I eat a bowl of this soup I feel satisfied and cozy…like I should be all snuggled up with a wool blanket in an English cottage with a warm fire and big bowl of this soup. Sounds perfect, doesn’t it?
Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup mixes cumin, coriander, turmeric and curry powder along with coconut milk to give it a little bit of a sweet flavor to complement the rich spices. I garnished mine with cilantro and a little bit of crème fraiche but feel free to use things like yogurt, sour cream, croutons, parsley, breadcrumbs or a big chunk of crusty bread to dip in the soup.Print
The warm flavors of curry, turmeric, coriander and cumin pair with ginger, butternut squash and coconut milk to make a healthy, flavor filled soup.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cilantro and creme fraiche (sour cream or yogurt) for garnish
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, curry powder, salt and pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add butternut squash, chicken broth (or vegetable broth), coconut milk and cook covered on medium heat until butternut squash is soft (about 15 minutes).
- Remove soup from heat and puree with an immersion blender or blender until smooth.
- Serve in soup bowls garnished with cilantro and creme fraiche (or sour cream or yogurt).