For the Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake:
- 2.5 cups almond meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the Coconut-Chocolate Ganache
- 2/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1.5 cups dark chocolate chips
- Whole raw unsalted pecans for serving, optional
- *You can replace the raw cacao powder with unsweetened cocoa powder, but the flavor will be slightly different.
To Bake the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil a 9” cake pan
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal, baking powder, instant coffee granules, cacao powder, and salt (the dry ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract (the wet ingredients).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the oiled cake pan and place it on the center rack in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake tests clean.
- Allow the cake to cool at least 1 hour before turning it out onto a cutting board and spreading the ganache over it.
- Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. The ganache will set up in the refrigerator and make the cake easy and mess-free to serve.
To Prepare the Ganache:
- While the cake is baking, prepare the coconut-chocolate ganache
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until just below a boil.
- Pour the hot coconut milk into the bowl with the chocolate chips and stir until completely smooth and the chocolate chips have melted.
- Place in the refrigerator while the cake finishes baking. This will allow the ganache to thicken. Every few minutes, stir the ganache to make sure the consistency stays uniform.