- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth, low sodium if possible
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2–14.5oz diced tomatoes
- 2–15oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot and sauté until soft.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, garam masalas, turmeric and ginger and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree half of the soup in a blender and return to the pot.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm with bread.
You can use less broth for this soup and make it more of a stew (try 1-2 cups of vegetable broth) and then put over a bed of brown rice.