A simple side dish made with quinoa and Italian flavors of tomato, carrot, celery and basil.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped and loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Cook quinoa according to package (usually takes about 10-15 minutes).
- While quinoa is cooking heat oil over low/medium in separate pan for two minutes.
- Add diced onion, tomato, celery, carrot and cook until soft, approximately 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomato paste, and garlic, stir to combine all ingredients, cook two minutes.
- Add basil and oregano, stir to combine, and cook for two more minutes.
- Once quinoa is done cooking combine the vegetables mixture with the quinoa and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chopped green onions and serve warm.
You can use 2 teaspoons dried basil instead of fresh basil. When you make this dish you can taste it before serving and add more salt, pepper or other spices if you feel it needs more flavor. I thought the above ingredients yielded great flavor though!