Lemon & Parmesan Broccoli is a quick and healthy side dish with a light lemony-garlic flavor.
- 12 ounces broccoli florets (5 cups raw)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (2 for less garlic flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind (lemon zest)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh shaved Parmesan
- Salt to taste
- Wash broccoli, cut into florets and place in a steamer. Steam, covered, for about 4-5 minutes or until crisp but tender (don’t let broccoli overcook or you lose a lot of the nutrients. It should be a bright green color).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and garlic, cook for 2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Remove broccoli from steamer and place in a large serving bowl. Add oil mixture, rind and juice to broccoli and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle broccoli with salt to taste and Parmesan. Serve warm or keep leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
For the lemon zest use the yellow side (rind or peel) of the lemon and use a zester or grater to grate the rind. I do not melt the Parmesan on the broccoli but you could let it sit on the hot broccoli for 5 minutes and this should melt it. If you really want it to melt you could quickly heat it in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.