Lightened Up Chicken Salad Sandwiches are a healthy twist on classic chicken salad using cottage cheese and yogurt to create a creamy chicken salad.
- 1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup red grapes, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 gala apple, cored, peeled and chopped (or apple of choice)
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese, low fat and low sodium if possible
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon REAL® Seal milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the chicken, grapes, celery and apples and set aside.
- In a blender blend together the cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, lemon juice, honey and garlic powder until smooth.
- Add the cottage cheese mixture to the chicken mixture and mix until combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put a scoop of chicken salad on whole wheat dinner rolls, sandwiches buns or a bed of greens and enjoy.
I like to use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe to save myself the time of cooking chicken but feel free to use whatever chicken you would like.[br]Other additions to the chicken salad include:[br]Green grapes[br]Dried Cranberries or dried golden cranberries[br]Chopped green Onions[br]Chopped Pecans[br]Chopped Walnuts