- 1 1/4 cups fat-free buttermilk (see notes section on how to make your own)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 ounces grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 3/4 cup), divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the first 3 ingredients. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with knife.
- Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add milk to the mixture stirring until moist.
- Stir in 2 ounces of cheese (1/2 cup) and 2 tablespoons chives.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray or muffin tins. Sprinkle muffin tins evenly with remaining 1 ounce cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon chives.
- Bake at 400 degrees to 13 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out with most crumbs clinging.
- Remove muffins from tins, cool on wire rack
How to make buttermilk Ingredients Milk (just under one cup) 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice Preparation: 1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. 2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line. 3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for. Have heavy cream in the fridge? If so, you have everything you need to make real buttermilk: