Penne with Turkey Sausage, Garlic and Broccoli
Things have been a little foggy this week and it is only Tuesday! My one year old is teething and lets just say…he is the “bad teething” kind of baby. Coffee. Coffee. AND more coffee.Lots of sleepless nights around our house.
Since we have been just a tad tired this week quick and easy dinners is the name of the game in
our house in my kitchen!
Have I mentioned I love Cooking Light for just this occasion?
I get the magazine in the mail and immediately flip through to find what great recipes they have. The magazine always promises at least a handful of quick and easy (healthy) dinner recipes. That’s well worth every penny I pay for that magazine!
I found this colorful Penne with Turkey Sausage, Garlic and Broccoli dish in Cooking Light. You can make this in about 15 minutes (20 minutes if you’re chasing around a one year old in the process).
The name of this recipes makes up the four main ingredients:
spicy turkey Italian sausage from Trader Joes (once again you can use whatever sausage you like)
This recipe has great flavor and a little kick from the crushed red pepper (which can be taken out for less spice).
Penne with Turkey Sausage, Garlic and Broccoli RecipePrint
Quick and easy pasta dish that the whole family will like.
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 8 ounces of penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces of turkey Italian sausage (I bought the spicy Italian sausage at Trader Joes)
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Steam broccoli (or cook however you like) for about 5 minutes, or until bright green
- Remove the broccoli and rinse with cold water, drain and coarsely chop.
- Return water to a boil and add pasta, cooking according to directions.
- Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casing from sausage and cook for 4 minutes or until browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in broccoli, cook for another minute, continually stirring. Stir in past, reserve liquid, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper cook for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
If you do not want the added spice in this dish omit the crushed red pepper.
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
I would love to hear from you : What are your quick and easy dinner go to recipes?
Other great quick and easy pasta recipes:
Fresh Vegetable Pasta: Bluebonnets & Brownies
Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo: Peas and Crayons
Farfalle in Roasted Tomato Basil Sauce: In Sock Monkey Slippers