- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with chipotles, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 poblano chiles
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- Salt to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut peppers and chiles in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes.
- Place halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, and flatten with hand.
- Broil 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in paper bag and fold to close tightly. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan stirring to coat. Add onion and garlic and sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and paprika; sauté for 30 seconds. Add roasted peppers and chiles, 1/2 cup water, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Serve with cheese, chives, sour cream and some tortilla chips.