Slow Cooker Apple Steel Cut Oatmeal is an easy breakfast that cooks in the slow cooker while you sleep or go about your day. Wake up to a healthy bowl of oatmeal that reminds you of your favorite apple pie. When you are ready to eat stir in a spoons full of Tate+Lyle® Honey Granules and top with walnuts, a swirl of Greek yogurt or you other favorite toppings.
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1–1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1–1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons Tate +Lyle Honey Granules
- Garnish with walnuts, almonds or pecans , a swirl of Greek yogurt, freshly chopped apples
- Spray the inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into small chunks and put into the slow cooker. Add the milk, water, oats, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, vanilla, and ground flax seed into the slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- When oatmeal is done stir in the 2 teaspoons of Tate + Lyle Honey Granules
- Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, walnuts, freshly chopped apples, a dash of cinnamon.
Time vary depending on your slow cooker so make sure you check the oatmeal at 4 hours and give it a stir. The oatmeal can stick to the slow cooker so you want to make sure it isn’t doing that.