Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork is slow cooker in your crockpot with a flavorful BBQ sauce. This pulled pork makes the perfect sandwich or even a filling for quesadillas!
- 3-1/2 lb (1.75 kg) pork shoulder roast
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil for the pan
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Whole wheat buns for serving
- Barbecue sauce, for serving
- Sprinkle both sides of pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown pork on all sides (takes about 8 minutes). Transfer the pork to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add the onions, garlic, chili powder and bay leaves and saute for a four minutes, loosening any browned bits in the bottom of the pan (you will start to smell the heat of the chili powder and spices).
- Add 1/4 cup water to the pan to help loosen all the flavorful bits and pour everything over the pork in the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce to the slower cooer. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, until pork is tender.
- With two forks shred pork. Pour off excess liquid if there is too much, and add a small amount of barbecue sauce to moisten.
- Serve the pork warm on buns making sure to leave additional barbecue sauce on the table for those that want to add it to their pork.
This BBQ pork freezes well. Just transfer the pork once cooled to a freezer safe ziplock bag and lay flat.