Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup is a warm, creamy, hearty soup of butternut squash and sweet potato that cooks in the slow cooker while you go about your day.
I thought it was time for a quick update on our crazy lives..
If you remember back in September my family decided to relocate for Mike’s job to the Cleveland/Akron area. It was such an exciting opportunity to move closer to family. Moving day happened a few weeks ago which was met with mixed emotions. We said goodbye to the first house we owned together, the house we brought our babies home to, a house we truly loved. We have so many great memories in that house and I didn’t realize how hard it would be to leave Chicago.
Now fast forward to today…December 5th. It has been a stressful, long two months of showing our house, packing, saying goodbye to dear friends and moving. On top of it all Mike started his job two months ago in Cleveland so we have been apart for far too long.
BUT…today I am excited to say that we sold our Chicago house!! And are working towards the goal of being in a new house for Christmas (fingers crossed!). Until we can get into our new house the kids and I are staying at my parents house in Tennessee.
Spending time with my Mom means lots of cooking and recipe testing. Today’s recipe for Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup is one that we made together. Not only is this soup tasty it cooks in the slow cooker while you go about your day. With the amount of stress in my life lately I have to admit that easy recipes are my best friend.
This is a great winter soup that the whole family will love and makes great leftover throughout the week. I like to garnish mine with a spoon of yogurt and pumpkin seeds. You could also try a handful of chopped apple for added sweetness.Print
A warm, creamy, hearty soup of butternut squash and sweet potato that cooks in the slow cooker while you go about your day.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Garnish options: chopped apple, yogurt, pumpkin seeds
- Add sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, celery, onion, garlic and vegetables broth to a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours (make sure vegetables are tender).
- Add the spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- In batches blend the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender. Taste the soup and adjust spices according to your tastes.
- Serve warm with crusty bread and garnish with a spoonful of greek yogurt and pumpkin seeds.
Check out these other slow cooker soups from my fellow food bloggers:
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup // Gimme Some Oven
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Soup // FoodieCrush
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup // Table for Two