Southwestern Breakfast Bake mixes eggs, vegetables, sausage, cheese and a little spice to create a great dish for breakfast or brunch. This dish is very customizable to your tastes and dietary restrictions and can become vegetarian by simply removing the sausage.
- 1 medium red potato, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 6 grape tomatoes, halved (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 andouille turkey sausage link, casing removed and chopped
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish, stems removed
- 1/4 cup green onion, green parts chopped
- Other garnish ideas: chopped avocado, sour cream, Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure all ingredients and separate in small bowls, except for eggs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sauté your potatoes (throw a dash of salt on them), stirring and flipping from time to time, until they are slightly crisp and golden and cooked through. Set these aside in a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet put a little bit of olive oil in (maybe 1 teaspoon) and sauté the peppers and onion until soft and set aside in the large mixing bowl.
- Heat another 1 teaspoon olive oil in the skillet and cook the andouille sausage until cooked through (read package for instruction on how long to cook—mine was maybe 5 minutes) stirring from time to time. Remove from skillet and set aside in the large mixing bowl.
- Using your egg beater or whisk do a quick 30 seconds of mixing to get the eggs scrambled and a little frothy.
- Over medium heat add a little olive oil again and cook the eggs, whisking the whole time, until cooked through (this took maybe 4-5 minutes, basically just cook the scrambled eggs as you typically would).
- Add the eggs to the large mixing bowl, add the cherry tomatoes and chopped jalapeños and mix everything together. Transfer to an oven safe dish and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbling.
- Remove and garnish with cilantro and green onion.