Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds are an easy healthy snack or a fantastic party appetizer. These are packed with Southwestern flavor!
Happy virtual shower Stefanie!
Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds
I made these fun Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds for my fellow Chicago food blogger friend Stefanie from Sarcastic Cooking and the upcoming arrival of her baby boy. I am so excited for her! I have a son myself and know firsthand the joy little boys bring to a Mom’s life. Boys have so much energy for life, for learning and for playing. It keeps us Moms on our toes and keeps things interesting on a daily basis. I know she is going to just love joining the club!
If crazy, energetic little boys don’t keep you on your toes these Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds sure will. They have a little bit of kick to them and offer that sweet, savory combination that many people love. I almost think of these little appetizers as similar to nachos but on a little individual sweet potato chip and topped with your favorite Southwestern toppings. The great thing about this recipe is it can really be adapted to you and your guests tastes.
I used a spicy black bean mixture and then topped it off with a little sour cream, cilantro and pepper jack/cheddar cheese mixture. My husband hates sour cream so for him he got a modified version with no sour cream on it. I love being able to make all the mouths at the table happy!
Stefanie and I are fellow Chicagoans so I am hoping that a couple of months after the baby is born I can stop over and meet the little guy (and of course bring her some yummy food—that’s what food bloggers friends are for, right?). Stefanie is going to be a great Mom and I can’t wait to hear about her funny, exciting adventures in motherhood!
Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds are a healthy appetizer option with the flavors of the Southwest topped on warm sweet potato chips.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (more for garnish)
- 1 jalapeno, membranes and seeds removed, chopped
- Cheese for topping (sharp and pepper jack)
- Sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the sweet potato into 1/4 inch thick rounds and place on an oiled backing sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until tender and browned on the bottom.
- In medium saucepan over medium high heat bring 1 cup water, black beans, lime juice and tomatoes to a boil. Add red pepper, garlic powder and salt and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add cilantro and jalapeno continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Remove sweet potato rounds from the oven and put on a serving plate. Top with the black bean mixture, cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
- Serve warm.
Stephie @ Eat Your Heart Out: Coconut and Vanilla Bean Canapés
Kayle @ The Cooking Actress: Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Steph @ Girl Versus Dough: Creamy Deviled Eggs with Red Onions, Capers, and Dill
Heidi @ FoodieCrush: Smoked Salmon Spread
Susan @ Girl in the Little Red Kitchen: Waffle Iron Reuben Sandwiches
Julia @ The Roasted Root: Spiced Apple Carrot Muffins