Southwestern Sweet Potato Rounds are a healthy appetizer option with the flavors of the Southwest topped on warm sweet potato chips.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (more for garnish)
- 1 jalapeno, membranes and seeds removed, chopped
- Cheese for topping (sharp and pepper jack)
- Sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the sweet potato into 1/4 inch thick rounds and place on an oiled backing sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until tender and browned on the bottom.
- In medium saucepan over medium high heat bring 1 cup water, black beans, lime juice and tomatoes to a boil. Add red pepper, garlic powder and salt and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add cilantro and jalapeno continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Remove sweet potato rounds from the oven and put on a serving plate. Top with the black bean mixture, cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
- Serve warm.