Spanish Cauliflower “Rice” is a great alternative to regular rice with a similar texture and boasts the flavor of Spanish-style rice. The added kale in this dish makes it a “super” healthy side dish.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, grated (stems removed)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed green kale leaves
- 1 – 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (unsalted if possible)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- Remove the green stems from the cauliflower and chop the head in half. Using a box grater or food processor, grate the whole head of cauliflower (one half at a time).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat and sauté the onion until fragrant and slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower, garlic, and jalapeño to the skillet and stir consistently until the cauliflower begins to cook down and turn brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the kale leaves and stir them into the cauliflower rice. Cover the skillet, allowing the kale leaves to soften about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt and chili powder, and stir them into the “rice.”
- Continue cooking another 2 to 3 minutes to allow some of the moisture to burn off, stirring consistently.
- Serve the Spanish Cauliflower “Rice” alongside your favorite meal!