A hearty, vegetarian chili perfect for the cold months.
- 1–16oz can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1–16oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1–16oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1–6oz can tomato paste
- 1–15oz can tomato sauce
- 1–4oz can green chilies (mild)
- 1–14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1–16oz can of water (optional depending on how thick or thin you like your chili)
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with garnishes of your choice include cheese, green onions, cilantro and a touch of sour cream.
- Store remaining chili in the refrigerator.
For the water–I use one of the empty 16oz bean cans to add water to the chili. I like my chili thick but not too thick. Use your judgement based on what you like.