- 1 – 14 oz. package Gorton’s Popcorn Shrimp
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, cherry size, sliced in half
- Arrange the two racks in the oven so there is one in the middle and one on the bottom. Cook the popcorn shrimp according to the package on the middle rack.
- While the shrimp cook pour the tomato sauce into a cast iron skillet or oven safe skillet. Sprinkle the fresh basil and place the mozzarella slices evenly around the skillet. When the shrimp have 10 minutes left to cook put the skillet with the tomato sauce on the bottom rack of the oven. Let the tomato sauce cook while the shrimp finish cooking. Remove the shrimp and the sauce from the oven.
- There are two ways to present this appetizer:
- 1} You can add the popcorn shrimp into the skillet after everything is done cooking and serve it with crusty bread or crackers.
- 2} You can create a bite sized appetizer by using crackers or bread, spread sauce on each cracker, following by a piece of mozzarella and then placing a popcorn shrimp on top.
- Garnish both options with fresh basil.
You can even serve this with pasta to make it an entree.
If you like extra cheese sprinkle with parmesan cheese once it is done cooking.