Thank god it is Friday! I have been fighting off a cold and that mixed with the time change made for a long week! It is time for some relaxation! Is anyone doing anything fun for St. Patt’s?
After this weekend of drinking and heavy eating I think you should make this salad. Maybe for lunch on Monday? It is light and healthy so a great way to get you back on track. A lot of people know butter lettuce because of lettuce wraps. The silky yet firm texture makes a great little wrap for things like chicken or veggies.
I recently purchased butter lettuce (also known as Boston, Boston Bibb, Bibb) and decided to make a light and healthy salad with it. I am now officially in love with this lettuce. I have had it before in salads but forgot how great the texture is.
I am on a Spring kick now and even though it is still 35 degrees in Chicago (last year it was in the 70’s for St. Patrick’s Day!) I am eating springy foods. This salad is light and has the flavors of avocado, oranges, red onion to compliment the butter lettuce with a light lime vinaigrette to top it off.
- 1 small head of butter lettuce
- ⅓ cup sliced radishes (about 3 medium sized radishes)
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ of an orange, cut into chunks
- ½ of an avocado
- **Dressing ingredients**
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Rinse the lettuce and use a salad spinner to dry. Set aside.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk or in a salad dressing container and put in refrigerator to chill.
- Trim the stem and any rough pieces off of the butter lettuce head. Tear pieces of the lettuce and put in a large salad bowl. Add the red onion, and radishes.
- Mix the salad with the lime dressing and toss gently. Garnish with the avocado and orange slices.
Inspiration from Cooking Light Magazine