A quick, easy and flavorful marinara sauce. Make a big batch of this and freeze some for later.
- 1lb ground beef (optional)
- 1 medium white sweet onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 15oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 6oz cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried or fresh)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (optional for spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you want to add meat to the sauce warm a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the meat until there is no red and it is cooked through.
- Drain the meat if there is fat and put the meat in the crockpot.
- Add all remaining ingredients to crock pot and stir. Cover crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve over cooked pasta, with warm garlic bread.
This marinara sauce freezes very well. Make sure you completely cool the sauce before freezing it.