A crunchy, light salad of shaved Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, tangy granny smith apple and shaved Parmesan cheese topped with a light lemony dressing make this salad a perfect addition to your lunch or dinner.
Happy Friday guys!
We survived another week. Well at least I did. As the weeks go by in my pregnancy I am thankful for “making it through another week.” I am just going to say that it is harder the second time around—you get bigger faster and you have another child to chase around which is exhausting!
This week in Chicago it was freeeeezing! And by freezing I mean -20 one night with wind chill. I know Chicago can get cold but I am not sure I signed up for that! We spent a lot of time inside—drinking warm drinks, catching up on TV shows, baking, wrapping gifts and cooking. One of the things I made was this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Apple and Pomegranate and it was a winner!
Yes this salad involves Brussels sprouts. For those that are ready to run the other direction hear me out because I used to be in the “no Brussels sprouts” camp too.
Growing up I never ate Brussels sprouts. I was that kid that heard the name and turned up my nose. Fish, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms—I just would not eat those things. Boy was I missing out! Looking back Brussels sprouts is one of those foods I wish I would have given a try. They are tasty when made the right way and healthy for you. Throw a little olive oil and balsamic in a pan and sauté them, or maybe a drizzle of lemon. Or make a salad, like this Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Apple and Pomegranate–you won’t be disappointed!
The shaved Brussels sprouts mixed with tangy granny smith apples, Parmesan cheese, walnuts, sweet pomegranate seeds and a light lemony dressing mix perfectly to make a crunchy, flavorful salad. And it looks pretty!
This would be a great salad to serve at the holidays for your family or make it on the weekend and eat at work when you need a quick, healthy lunch.
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (approx. 20-25 Brussels sprouts)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, chopped
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice (I used 1 lemon, juiced)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse Brussels sprouts of any dirt and let dry.
- Using a cutting board cut the Brussels sprouts into thin horizontal rounds and long strands.
- Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- De-seed a pomegranate and add to the Brussels sprouts.
- Add apple, shaved Parmesan and walnuts and mix.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon and Dijon mustard.
- Drizzle dressing on the salad and mix to combine, add salt and pepper to taste and adjust according to your preferences.
- Let sit in the fridge for 30-40 minutes to let the dressing soak into the salad.
I made this salad and kept it in the fridge to eat for lunches for about 3-4 days in an airtight container. You may want to wait to add the dressing until you eat the salad or add more as needed when you eat the salad.
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Helpful tips when making this salad:
Have a great weekend guys!! If you live somewhere cold–stay warm!