Good Morning! I hope you are enjoying summer so far–is it seriously almost July 4th? Do you have any fun plans for the holiday?
Today’s recipe isn’t July 4th themed..but it is kid-friendly which in my house is #1. Carrot and Zucchini Muffins are a hit with my 2 year old. They are moist and packed with shredded carrots and zucchini with some added sweetness from dried fruit.
The recipe has nuts in it but if your child is too young or allergic just eliminate them from the recipe.
I have been on a mission to incorporate vegetables into Will’s food whenever possible. He likes to eat vegetables but not as much as he likes fruit so I need to get that balance in there. Don’t get me wrong my husband and I liked these muffins too but they were a bigger hit with my son, who calls them “cake.” Hey, if he wants to think muffins with vegetables in them are cake, I’ll take it!Print
Get your kids to eat their veggies with these carrot and zucchini muffins with the added sweetness of dried fruit and the crunch of nuts.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (I used dried cranberries, but you could use raisins, pineapple, ect)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole flax meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 6 cups of a muffin tin with muffin papers (or you could grease each cup).
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, salt and egg.
- Fold in the zucchini, carrots, nuts and dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add to the batter and stir until just combined (make sure not to over-stir).
- Divide the better in the prepared muffin cups and let the muffins rest for 10 minutes before putting in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 18-25 minutes until the edges are lightly browned and they feel firm when gently pressed (also try inserting a cake tester into the center which will come out clean when the muffins are done).
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and cool them in the pan for 10 minutes. Place on a rack and cool completely.
Have a safe and happy holiday!