A light, lemony shortbread cookie with a sweet lemon glaze makes the perfect cookie with a cup of tea or to bring to a shower or brunch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (finely grate the yellow peel of the lemon)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest (finely grated)
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest together.
- In a mixer beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice and beat until fully combined.
- With mixer on low speed mix in the flour mixture until combined.
- Using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon, drop dough on a baking sheet (I used two baking sheets) about 1 inch apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 15-18 minutes (until the edges are just golden brown) rotating half way through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then put on a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- For the glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 2 Tbsp lemon zest and 1/3 cup lemon juice together until smooth.
- Drizzle lemon glaze over the top of each cookie and let set for another hour or so.
- Store in an airtight container until you are ready to serve.
Always zest the lemon before you juice the lemon.[br]I added a little extra lemon zest to the top of my finished cookies because I love lemon THAT MUCH! This is optional.