Do you have a restaurant you go to where you always order the same dish?
I have a lot of restaurants like this especially a particular Thai restaurant. I just love Thai food and the menu at this restaurant has a lot to choose from.
A coworker and I always got Thai food over our lunch break. I walked in saying I was going to try something new but when it came down to it I got the same thing. The lunch special (spicy basil chicken) with a small little chicken soup and an Asian Cucumber Salad. I could never move past this combination due to the fear that whatever I ordered just wouldn’t live up to it.
Now back to that Asian Cucumber Salad. I crave salads a lot and this one of those. I recreated it at home because it seemed easy enough, healthy and I knew my husband wouldn’t touch it (he hates cucumbers) so I would have it all to myself!
This recipe is very similar to the one I get at my favorite Thai restaurant thanks to Alice at Savory Sweet Life. I added 1 jalapeno to my salad for a little extra spice but feel free to leave that out. I just love the crunch of cucumbers and how refreshing this salad is. The spice and sweetness mix perfectly together.
- 1 large cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of rice vinegar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. of thai chili garlic sauce
- pinch of salt
- In a microwavable bowl add rice vinegar, sugar, chili garlic sauce, and salt.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave for 40 seconds.
- Stir the vinaigrette until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a medium size bowl add the cucumber, carrot and red onion.
- Pour vinaigrette over the cucumber mixture and toss until the salad is coated in the vinaigrette.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with the jalapenos.
Recipe from Savory Sweet Life
Have a great Monday!