Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken is an easy recipe for shredded chicken. You can use this chicken in all kinds of dishes from tacos, to burrito bowls, to salads, to quesadillas. This chicken is freezer friendly and such a great busy weekday option.
SLOW COOKER SHREDDED CHICKEN
Four ingredients and your slow cooker is all it takes for this simple but versatile Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken recipe. You put the ingredients in the crockpot and let it do all of the work while you go about your day. This time of year can be so busy with school and sports, this is one you need to add to your menu. It is on rotation at my house monthly.
This is a shredded chicken recipe that you can use in so many ways or even freeze it for later. Some of my favorite ways to use it is in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas or in a taco style salad. My kids love this shredded chicken too which makes it a great, easy weeknight option.
Do you meal prep? If you do this is one of those great meal prep recipes that you can put in the slow cooker on Sunday and have it ready for the week. I often will freeze half of the pulled chicken so that when I am in a hurry and out of ideas I can pull this chicken out and heat it up. I am all about those freezer friendly meals when things are cray around our house.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS RECIPE FOR SLOW COOKER PULLED CHICKEN?
CHICKEN BREASTS: I like to use chicken breasts in this recipe because I think they work nicely for shredded chicken. You can also use chicken tenders or chicken thighs if you prefer the darker meat. Remember not to overcook your chicken in the crockpot because it will dry out.
SALSA: I always have a jar of salsa in my pantry and this recipe is the perfect use for it. You can also make a homemade restaurant style salsa to use.
BLACK BEANS: I always throw a can of black beans in with my chicken when it cooks. It adds protein and helps create a full meal. If you don’t like black beans you can skip them or serve them on the side.
ONION: I chop up a sweet onion and add it to the crockpot. You can also use a red onion or just leave it out all together.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CROCKPOT SHREDDED CHICKEN?
If easy meals make you happy, then today’s recipe is for you. It is super simple and involves little work.
Start by placing your chicken breasts in a slow cooker.
Next, add the black beans and diced green chiles to the crockpot.
Lastly, you will pour the salsa of your choice over the chicken, making sure to spread the salsa evenly over the chicken. The salsa doesn’t have to be completely covering the chicken because the chicken also creates juices when it cooks.
Set your slow cooker to high for about 2 1/2 hours or low for about 5 hours. You don’t want to overcook the chicken so keep an eye on it. Remove the chicken once it is done cooking and use two forks to shred it. Put it back in the crockpot and stir the chicken and the other ingredients well until mixed.
Serve on your favorite Mexican dish like tacos, quesadillas or in enchiladas.
This post may include affiliate links.
TIPS FOR CROCKPOT SHREDDED CHICKEN:
- Aside from using two forks to shred your chicken you can also use an electric or stand mixer to shred the chicken.
- For more flavor try using chicken thighs which tend to be a bit juicier and flavorful. My kids prefer the chicken breast meat so that is what I usually use.
- Don’t overcook your chicken. You have to know how your slow cooker tends to cook things. I know mine cooks things quicker than I think. When it comes to chicken I go with the lower amount of time for cooking. So with this chicken recipe I usually will check it around the 5 hour mark at low.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 - 15.5 oz jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 - 15.5 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 4 oz. can of diced green chilies
- Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the black beans and diced green chiles. Then pour the salsa over top everything, spreading it out evenly.
- Cook on high for 2.5 to 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. When the chickne is done cooking use two forks to shred it and return it back to the crockpot. Stir everything together.
- Serve on tacos, salad, sandwiches, burrito bowls and more.
This shredded chicken is freezer friendly. I put a batch in a large ziplock and lay it flat in the freezer. Defrost for a day in the fridge when you are ready to use it. Make sure your chicken is completely cooled before freezing it. You might want to put it in the fridge for a day and then freeze it.