Butternut Squash Pasta is the perfect fall pasta dish mixing sausage, roasted butternut squash and pasta topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and creamy butternut squash sage sauce. This is a comforting meal for those colder months!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA
This Butternut Squash Pasta is hands down one of my favorite pasta dishes that I make in the fall along with this Baked Mac and Cheese with Bread Crumbs. They are both so comforting and cozy as the weather starts to cool off. I just adore the butternut squash paired with the sausage, pasta and the sage. There is just something about fall that I love, especially the food.
The nice thing about this pasta dish is that the leftovers almost taste better than the first day you make this dish. The flavors really soak into the pasta and the creamy sauce gets even better. Butternut squash is my go-to squash this time of year. I love the sweet flavor and use it in all kinds of recipes from this Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Apple Soup to this Butternut Squash Apple Bake to today’s Butternut Squash Pasta.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS SQUASH PASTA DISH?
SQUASH: The butternut squash is the star of the show in this recipe. It is used in the actual dish with cubed butternut squash and then also is pureed in the sauce with a small amount of cream and Parmesan cheese. It brings a sweetness to the dish that can’t be beat.
SAUSAGE: Ground sausage is a nice addition to the pasta and adds some protein. You can use mild or try spicy to take things up a level with the heat. You also can use ground pork in its place or even turkey.
PASTA: I go for a medium sized pasta in this dish but any of your favorite will work. I used orecchiette in today’s pasta dish which is also one I use in this One Pot Kale Broccoli Chickpea Orrechiette.
PARMESAN CHEESE: Parmesan cheese is used in the sauce of this dish and is also sprinkled on top of the finished dish. I love the saltiness it brings and how it helps to thicken up the sauce.
CREAM: I added cream to the sauce to thicken it and create a rich sauce. You can make it healthier by using broth in its place but it won’t be as creamy. You can also try using a small amount of Greek yogurt to help thicken the sauce.
FRESH HERBS: Fresh herbs always take a pasta dish to the next level. I used sage along with fresh Italian parsley. Feel free to add whatever herbs you like!
OTHER RECIPES THAT GO NICELY WITH THIS PASTA DISH
Lemon Arugula Salad with Pine Nuts: Lemon Arugula Salad with Pine Nuts is a quick and easy salad that is peppery, sweet and satisfying. Arugula is tossed with cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and parmesan cheese and finished off with a lemony, olive oil dressing.
Easy Kale Lemon Salad: This easy kale salad features fresh veggies and a super simple homemade lemon dressing, making it perfect as a healthy side dish or light lunch! It is definitely one of my very favorite kale salad recipes!
Easy Yeast Bread: Easy Perfect Yeast Bread – Simple no fail yeast bread makes 2 delicious artisan loaves, no mixer required. These rustic loaves are amazing and perfect versatile loaf for dinner, sandwiches and more!
Green Beans with Toasted Almonds: Green Beans with Brown Butter and Toasted Almonds is a nice twist on traditional green beans. The nutty flavor of the brown butter coats the freshly cooked green beans and is tossed with crunchy toasted almonds.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound ground sausage, mild
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound orecchiette pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water (more or less for desired consistency)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional for a little spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Butternut Squash Sauce
- 1/4 cup of the roasted butternut squash
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 3 sage leaves
- 1/4 cup pasta water, reserved
- 1/4 cup cream
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl mix peeled/cubed butternut squash with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Spread the squash on a non-stick baking sheet. Roast the butternut squash for 30 minutes, using tongs to stir the butternut squash a few times throughout cooking.
- While the butternut squash is cooking cook the pasta according to package. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and run under cold water. Put in the large mixing bowl once cooled.
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and cook sausage, using a wooden spoon to break apart the sausage. When the sausage begins to brown add the garlic and continue to cook until the sausage is browned.
- Add the sausage mixture to the pasta in the large mixing bowl.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and set 1/4 cup of the squash aside. Put the rest of the squash with the sausage and pasta mixture.
- In a blender puree 1/4 cup of the butternut squash, the sage, garlic clove, parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup reserved pasta water and the 1/4 cup of the cream.
- Pour the butternut squash sauce over the pasta mixture and combine adding more reserved pasta water if needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Sprinkle crushed red pepper, the freshly grated parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh sage, Italian parsley and serve warm.