Step up your chips and salsa game with Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips. You can easily make your own chips at home and use them for dipping, nachos or on top of Mexican inspired soups. You will love how simple these are to make!
HOMEMADE BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS
You are going to love how easy these Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips are to make. I make these often for my family when I have extra tortillas to use up. What I love most about this recipe is that the chips are baked, not fried creating a slightly healthier chip.
One of my favorite snacks is chips and salsa. I like make my own salsa, especially in the summer months. It is easy to do and I love being able to control the ingredients that go in to it. This Restaurant Style Salsa, Avocado Tomatillo Salsa and this Avocado Tomatillo Salsa are my go-to recipes.
HOW DO YOU MAKE TORTILLA CHIPS FROM SCRATCH?
Preheat the oven to 400F. Whisk together the oil, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt in a large bowl. Use your hands to very gently toss in the corn tortilla wedges to coat.
Arrange the tortilla wedges on a large baking sheet (a little bit of overlap is ok, but try to spread them out in a single layer if possible).
Bake until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes on the first side, and 8 minutes on the second side.
HOW DO I STORE MY TORTILLA CHIPS?
If you don’t store your chips in a tightly sealed container your chips will go stale quickly. Store in a covered container for up to 5 days at room temperature.
WHAT ARE SOME WAYS I CAN SEASON MY CHIPS?
You can go as basic and salt when seasoning your chips or you can get crazy and try different combinations. Here are some I like:
- I love smoky flavors. If you do too try smoky chili powder, cumin and lime zest.
- Try sprinkling your favorite rub on the chips. Rubs that you typically use for meats tend to have a variety of really good flavors in them that would pair nicely on chips. Sometimes rubs can have add salt so you may want to check before adding salt yourself.
- If you like spicy try sprinkling cayenne red pepper on your chips or even crushed red pepper.
WHAT CAN I USE MY HOMEMADE CHIPS FOR?
Chips are the best dippers for so many things in my opinion. Here are some ways I like to use them!
SOUPS & CHILI: When I eat soup and chili I like to have a bowl of chips to help scoop it up. Try this Instant Pot Turkey Chili, Instant Pot Pork Chili, Vegetarian Chili or this Beef Chili. You could also use the chips as a topping in this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup or this Mexican Vegetable Soup.
GUACAMOLE: Another favorite in my house is guacamole like this Pomegranate Guacamole or this Homemade Mexican Guacamole.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 small (5 to 6 inch) corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the oil, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt in a large bowl. Use your hands to very gently toss in the corn tortilla wedges to coat.
- Arrange the tortilla wedges on a large baking sheet (a little bit of overlap is ok, but try to spread them out in a single layer if possible).
- Bake until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes on the first side, and 8 minutes on the second side.
- Cool and serve!
Store in a covered container for up to 5 days at room temperature.