My baby turned 1 yesterday! Time really flew by. Mike and I made him carrot cupcakes last night and he had it today. It was his first time having something sweet and it was pretty entertaining to watch. The cupcakes tasted so yummy. I am going to post the recipe soon. It was really easy and at least he was getting some veggies along with that icing! 🙂
In the meantime I wanted to share my guacamole recipe that I make a lot. Avocados are one of my favorite snacks. Creamy, rich and packed full of healthy stuff!
When I studied abroad in Costa Rica in college the family I lived with ate Avocados a lot and I grew to really love them. They served them with rice, beans and chicken and a dash of salt on the avocado. I have also finally gotten my son to eat them (he used to spit avocado out every time I tried to feed it to him).
Avocados can be used on salads, tacos, spread on a sandwich, but most importantly, in my book, it can be made into guacamole. It is perfect for a party, tailgating or a Saturday night alongside your margarita. You can experiment with how much lime, salt, cilantro you use depending on your preferences.
There’s nothing like a margarita and a side of guacamole and chips. I am getting hungry just thinking about it!
Quick & Easy Guacamole
Takes about 10-15 minutes to make
Makes 2 servings
1 ripe avocado
Juice of half of a lime
¼ cup of onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons of cilantro leaves, chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeds and stems removed, minced
1 small Serrano pepper, seeds and stems removed, minced
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Finely chop onion and tomato and set in bowl.
- Remove the stem and seeds of the jalapeño and Serrano peppers and mince. Place in bowl.
- Remove stems from the cilantro and chop the leaves. Place in bowl.
- Use knife to cut avocado in half (keeping in mind there is a large seed in the middle so you can’t cut straight down but need to do more of a round motion). Remove the seed and set aside. Scoop out avocado and put avocado in separate mixing bowl.
- Add lime juice to avocado and mash to desired chunkiness.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Transfer to a dish and serve with multi-grain chips or whole wheat pita (for the healthier option) or put plastic wrap tightly over dish and refrigerate. Make sure to keep sealed as guacamole browns fast.
- If you take the pit from the avocado and set it in the dish with the guacamole it will help to keep it fresh until you are ready to eat it. Make sure to still seal it and put it in the refrigerator.
- For less spice remove the jalapeno and Serrano pepper from the recipe.
Helpful tools when making guacamole..
Perfect! An avocado masher.
But ideally I really want one of these lava stone mortars… you can even serve the guacamole in it!
Other guacamole recipes worth a try around the web:
Perfect Guacamole: Simply Recipes
Guacamole Recipe: Veggieful
Smoky Guacamole: The Shiksa in the Kitchen
Crazy Guacamole: Eat, Drink, Love
Guacamole Hummus: The Café Sucre Farine
Let me know how your Quick & Easy Guacamole turns out!