A sweet slow roasted tomato sauce perfect for using up end of the summer tomatoes.
- 4 cups tomatoes, cubed
- Olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2–15oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix the cubed tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper (I just drizzle the olive oil on the tomatoes to coat them). Mix well.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet (I put foil down to keep the mess contained).
- Roast tomatoes for 1 hour.
- While the tomatoes are roasting drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a large pot and heat on medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add carrots and zucchini and continue to sauté until soft.
- Add tomato paste, sauce and remaining ingredients and let simmer stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are done roasting.
- Once the tomatoes are done roasting add them to the sauce and continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve over warm pasta, ravioli along with crusty garlic bread.
This sauce freezes great. Make sure you cool it completely and then freeze it in a Tupperware container or lay flat in large freezer ziplock bags.[br]Feel free to add different vegetables you may have on hand or meat.[br]For the tomatoes you can use any variety of tomato—if you use cherry tomatoes just half the tomatoes to roast.