Do you ever go to a party and find yourself addicted to one appetizer, dip, spread? Something you just can’t seem to pull yourself away from?
Well, if you catch me on the right day, seven layer dip is my weakness!
Anytime I go to a party and there is seven layer dip involved I find myself planted in one place for a little too long trying to get a few bites of this stuff. It is always gone within minutes. How can you blame anyone?
I wanted to bring this to a family get together last weekend. I went on the hunt for a little healthier version and found a delicious recipe on Skinny Taste. This recipe uses reduced fat sour cream and cream cheese mixed with taco seasoning and a jar of salsa, along with a layer of lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. Some people add black olives to the top but I
do not like kind of hate them so I kept them out of this recipe.
The recipe calls for taco seasoning which gets mixed in with the cream cheese, sour cream and salsa. If you want to make your own taco seasoning (cuts the sodium and possible other additives they might put in the packaged stuff) then check out Tony’s recipe on her website Quick Dish.
What are you waiting for? This stuff is easy to make & even easier to eat!
- 8 oz ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- 8 oz reduced fat sour cream
- 16 oz jar mild salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or homemade)
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large mixing bowl combine sour cream, cream cheese, salsa and taco seasoning and mix well with an electric mixer or by hand if you don’t have an electric mixer.
- Spread evenly on the bottom of a large shallow glass dish.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Slightly Adapted from Skinny Taste