Mediterranean Pinwheels are the perfect finger food for your next outdoor gathering or kids lunches. Tortillas are filled with hummus, feta cheese, roasted red peppers, arugula, red onion and parsley, before being rolled and cut into the perfect bite sized appetizer. Your guests will love this colorful, light recipe!
They also make a great packed lunch for the kids.
This is a great tasting, fresh and vibrant vegetarian appetizer, that everyone will enjoy.
One of my favorite things about these Mediterranean Pinwheels is that the recipe is easy to double if you are feeding a crowd.
I’ve gone with vegetarian ingredients to make Vegetarian Mediterranean Pinwheels, but for a Vegan Pinwheel, simply leave out the feta cheese.
You can play with the flavors and make them your own.
Looking for inspiration for your next holiday party or summer get together, look no further than my 15 Must Make Mediterranean Appetizers post for recipe inspiration.
WHAT INGREDIENTS TO DO I NEED TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN PINWHEELS?
TORTILLAS: I used 4 large soft wheat flour tortillas to make these pinwheels. You can use any flavor of tortilla that you enjoy eating. Just don’t be tempted to use smaller tortillas, as they won’t roll up properly.
HUMMUS: For ease I used a pack of Esti hummus but feel free to use your favorite.
RED PEPPERS: For ease I used a jar of roasted red peppers, just set them on some paper towel to drain before chopping up and adding to the tortilla.
FETA CHEESE: I crumbled Heinen’s feta cheese into the tortilla. If using feta in oil, drain it on paper towel before adding to the tortilla.
ARUGULA: Arugula has a lovely peppery flavor which works with the other flavors in these pinwheels. You could substitute with any other leafy salad green, for example spinach works great.
ONION: I used red onion as it has a lovely mild flavor. A good substitute would be shallot or green onions.
PARSLEY: Freshly chopped parsley adds a final hint of fresh herbs. You could also use basil, cilantro, mint or even a combination of fresh herbs.
HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN PINWHEELS?
PREPARE THE TORTILLAS. Start by laying out six tortillas and spreading a layer of hummus on each tortilla.
FILL THE TORTILLAS. Now fill each of the tortillas.
Next divide the roasted red peppers, feta cheese, arugula, parsley and red onion evenly between each of the 6 tortillas.
FINISH & CUT THE PINWHEELS. Finally roll each of the tortillas tightly and using a serrated knife, cut each tortilla into about 1 inch pinwheels. Repeat this same process for all the tortillas.
Place the pinwheels into a serving dish, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
OTHER FLAVOR VARIATIONS:
This recipe is very easy to adapt and swap in other flavors.
Here are some ideas:
- CHEESE – Swap the feta for some shredded cheddar cheese, a slice of provolone or mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, or spread over some cream cheese in place of the hummus.
- MEAT – Add sliced ham, salami or pepperoni to the tortillas.
- VEGETABLES – Add in some grated carrot or sun-dried tomatoes. Don’t add ingredients that are too wet, for example fresh slices of cucumber or tomato as they make the pinwheel soggy.
- SEASONING – Sprinkle some Italian seasoning, za’atar or sumac over the pinwheels.
- OLIVES: You could add chopped green or kalamata olives. Just make sure to drain the water or oil from them.
HOW DO YOU KEEP PINWHEELS FROM BECOMING SOGGY?
The trick here is to use dry ingredients and nothing that is too wet and will cause the tortillas to become soggy.
I recommend draining any wet ingredients, like the roasted red peppers, on some paper towel to remove any excess water/oil before adding to the tortilla.
CAN I MAKE PINWHEELS THE DAY BEFORE?
Yes, these are a great prep ahead appetizer.
Make the pinwheels earlier in the day, or the night before, and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
OTHER DELICIOUS APPETIZERS FOR YOU TO ENJOY:
- 4 large tortillas
- 8 ounces Esti hummus
- 4 ounces roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
- 1/3 cup Heinen’s feta, crumbled
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Lay out the six tortillas.
- Start by spreading a layer of hummus on each tortilla.
- Follow that by spreading the roasted red peppers, feta cheese, arugula, parsley and red onion evenly on each of the 6 tortillas.
- Roll the tortilla tightly for each tortilla.
- Use a serrated knife to cut each tortilla into about 1 inch pinwheels. Repeat for all the tortillas.
- Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.