Banana Oatmeal Muffins are the perfect healthy breakfast or snack packed with oats, bananas, chocolate and dark cherries. Your kids will love helping you make this simple recipe and will like eating them even more!
BANANA OAT MUFFINS
Are you looking for new breakfast ideas for the kids or after-school snack foods? I always need things for my kids on busy school days that they can grab on the go or even pack in their lunch.
These Banana Oat Muffins are a healthy option that the kids and adults will love.
Oats, bananas, dark chocolate and dark cherries are mixed together and baked into the perfect bite. I love the natural sweetness that the bananas add to these muffins. I will often add bananas in baking like in these Banana Muesli Breakfast Cookies.
CAN I FREEZE HEALTHY BANANA OATMEAL MUFFINS?
These muffins are the perfect type of thing to freeze. Put the muffins in an airtight container and freeze them for us to 3 months.
I like to stack them in a layer and then lay parchment paper between the layers to keep the muffins from sticking together.
When you are ready to eat them you can let them thaw on a wire rack at room temperature for 3 hours.
WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT THESE BANANA OAT CHOCOLATE MUFFINS?
- These muffins are naturally sweetened with bananas and honey. This makes me so happy because I like when I can give my kids a healthy option like this but it will has a touch of sweetness.
- You can be make these with minimal, clean ingredients. You will love that you probably have most of these ingredients in your fridge and pantry already.
- The chocolate in these muffins will make your kids think they are eating dessert when in fact it is a healthy muffin!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THESE BANANA AND OAT MUFFINS?
OATS: This recipe uses old fashioned oats to help bind the muffins together. The oats are rich in antioxidants and can help lower cholesterol.
BANANAS: I love adding bananas to muffins to add natural sweetness. They also add in a nice texture and flavor to the muffins.
CHOCOLATE: Dark chocolate isn’t necessary in these muffins but it is a great addition. I use chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks. You can use any chocolate you have on hand if you don’t have dark chocolate.
DARK CHERRIES: These muffins use dark cherries which you can often find in the frozen section of the grocery store. If you don’t like dark cherries try a different dried fruit like dried cranberries or you can skip them all together.
HONEY: Honey naturally sweetens the muffins. You can also use maple syrup or agave.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BANANA OAT MUFFINS?
These muffins are so easy to make! They are a great recipe for you to get your kids involved in too.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line 12 individual muffin tins.
Take a large mixing bowl and combine old-fashioned oats, chocolate chunks, salt, and cinnamon.
Take a large separate bowl, combine mashed banana, thawed dark cherries, coconut oil, honey, and water, mix well.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- 2 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup chocolate chunks or chips
- ½ teaspoon fine salt (sea salt or iodized salt)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup frozen dark cherries, thawed and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey or agave
- 1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line 12 individual muffin tins.
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine old-fashioned oats, chocolate chunks, salt, and cinnamon.
ake a large separate bowl, combine mashed banana, thawed dark cherries, coconut oil, honey, and water, mix well.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.
These freeze beautifully.
Try adding coconut to these for a fun flavor.
You can add any type of chocolate you want to this recipe. Dark chocolate is my favorite but any will do.