30 Minute Caprese Pasta Skillet mixes fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, pasta and mozzarella to make a quick 30 minute meal that the whole family will love. Perfect dish to use up your summer garden tomatoes and basil!
When my husband and I traveled to Italy a year ago we were reminded why we love the combination of tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. In Italy we often started a meal with caprese salad and bruschetta and were never disappointed.
In Italy the caprese tastes even better than here in the states. Maybe it is the atmosphere mixed with the fresh produce they have on hand at their markets? I think one of my favorite things about Italy was the abundance of fresh markets they have. Instead of going to the grocery store once a week many Italians to go the market every day or every other day to busy fresh produce, cheese and breads. I wish our culture was more like this!
Today’s 30 Minute Caprese Pasta Skillet was inspired by our trip to Italy. When I make it I think back to the wonderful food, wine and scenery that we experienced there. This dish is the perfect recipe for those busy summer days after a day at the pool or beach when you want to get a flavorful, fresh dish on the table in under 30 minutes.
I make this recipe vegetarian but you can easily add grilled chicken to it if you want. I also like to add some crushed red pepper to kick up the spice a bit but that is optional.
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!Print
Caprese Pasta Skillet mixes fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, pasta and mozzarella to make a quick 30 minute meal that the whole family will love. Perfect dish to use up your summer garden tomatoes and basil!
- 6 oz linguine
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped into chunks
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta according to box, drain water reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water when done and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the 6 Tablespoons olive oil and saute the tomatoes for two minutes. Add the garlic and oregano. Continue sauteing until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add in the reserved pasta water and simmer for an additional 1 minute stirring to combine.
- Add the pasta, basil and mozzarella and heat on low stirring until the cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- Serve warm garnished with fresh chopped basil.
Add grilled chicken to add protein to this dish.
For more Italian inspired dishes check out my Italia Pinterest board!