Chicken Quinoa Soup is a hearty and refreshing soup mixing vegetables, chicken, diced tomatoes, lemon and quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium if possible
- 1–14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups of shredded or cubed rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon, cut in quarters
- Italian parsley, chopped
- Cook the quinoa according to the package and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrots, celery for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the carrots and celery are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, dried basil, dried basil, thyme, parsley and lemon juice. Bring the soup to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the green beans, peas and chicken and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes, or until the peas and green beans are tender and bright green. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In soup bowls serve desired amount of quinoa, then ladle the soup over the quinoa and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh Italian parsley.
Try a variety of vegetables in this soup including zucchini.