Chicken Quinoa Soup is a hearty and refreshing soup mixing vegetables, chicken, diced tomatoes, lemon and quinoa and topped with fresh Italian parsley.
Chicken Quinoa Soup
Are you sick of my soups yet? You are probably thinking I am slightly obsessed. Well, you are right!
Soups are the bulk of what we eat for dinner during the winter months and this Chicken Quinoa Soup is part of the rotation. In the winter months soups are warming, hearty and packed with healthy vegetables, grains and proteins. I also have two children under the age of 3 to entertain and putting dinner on the table can be somewhat of a challenge. A lot of nights I go for the recipes I can prep ahead of time and make in less than 30 minutes.
If you have small children you probably know that everything revolves around nap time.
I do the prep ahead of time when the kids are napping by cutting everything up and putting them in bowls, cooking the chicken and setting out all of the ingredients that I will need (except for the cold stuff). Then when 4pm rolls around I sauté my vegetables, add in everything else and simmer the soup until it is ready. It makes for an easy meal on a busy day. I usually make a vegetable side dish and maybe some whole wheat rolls and wallah. Dinner is served.Print
Chicken Quinoa Soup is a hearty and refreshing soup mixing vegetables, chicken, diced tomatoes, lemon and quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium if possible
- 1–14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups of shredded or cubed rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon, cut in quarters
- Italian parsley, chopped
- Cook the quinoa according to the package and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrots, celery for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the carrots and celery are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, dried basil, dried basil, thyme, parsley and lemon juice. Bring the soup to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the green beans, peas and chicken and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes, or until the peas and green beans are tender and bright green. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In soup bowls serve desired amount of quinoa, then ladle the soup over the quinoa and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh Italian parsley.
Try a variety of vegetables in this soup including zucchini.
Adapted from The Cozy Apron