Indian Spiced Vegetable Chickpea Soup is a hearty, comforting soup that is packed with flavor, protein and a good dose of vegetables. Simmer this soup on the stove, puree half of it and garnish with fresh cilantro.
INDIAN SPICED VEGETABLE CHICKPEA SOUP
My blender gets a lot of exercise in my house.
Between making baby food, smoothies and now fall soups, like this Indian Spiced Vegetable Chickpea Soup, it definitely is one of my most used appliances. I have had many blenders over the years and most do an ok job but nothing to write home about.
For example one of my biggest frustrations with making smoothies has always been that the blenders I have had do not crush the ice or the frozen bananas and it takes me a lot of starting, stopping and stirring over the course of a few minutes to get everything to blend together.
I have always heard great things about Blendtec blenders and was excited when I got the opportunity to try one out myself. Blendtec was kind enough to send me their blender to try out over the summer.
One thing I like about it is that it has different settings depending on what you are making.
For example, there is a soup button that you push and it does the work of changing speeds in order to get the soup to the right consistency.
My blendtec has been a life saver when making baby food which I make a lot of right now.
All I have to do is throw in a few ingredients like cooked apples and pears and puree them together to create a quick and easy baby food.
Indian Spiced Vegetable Chickpea Soup is a hearty soup with the warm, rich flavor of turmeric and garam masala and will warm you up during the cold months.
The chickpeas add protein to the soup and the vegetables and tomatoes add flavor and nutrients.
I garnished the soup with fresh cilantro but you could also use fresh parsley or green onions. I also think some crumbled feta cheese would be perfect as a topper.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth, low sodium if possible
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-14.5oz diced tomatoes
- 2-15oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot and sauté until soft.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, garam masalas, turmeric and ginger and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree half of the soup in a blender and return to the pot.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm with bread.
You can use less broth for this soup and make it more of a stew (try 1-2 cups of vegetable broth) and then put over a bed of brown rice.