A flavorful pasta dish mixing veggies and roasted red peppers with a creamy buffalo mozzarella mixed in.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz whole wheat rigatoni pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup roasted bell peppers, chopped (roasted red peppers from the jar; if roasting peppers yourself use 2, halved of any color)
- 1–6oz bag of fresh spinach
- 1 small zucchini ends removed, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (the yellow rind of the lemon zested)
- 6 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella (you can use shredded, pearls or a chunk sliced)
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- Optional: garnish with fresh chopped basil.
- If you choose to roast your own peppers you will want to start with that before making the pasta dish. You will want to roast your peppers while you cook the rest of your pasta dish.
- In a large pot boil water and cook pasta according to directions, drain and reserve 1/4 cup liquid from pasta. Run pasta under cold water and set aside.
- Put 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and sauté the garlic for 2 minutes stirring, until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes and a dash of salt and pepper and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently until zucchini and tomatoes begins to soften.
- Add the roasted peppers, oregano and pasta and 1/4 cup olive oil and continue to cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the mozzarella, spinach and lemon zest, mix well letting the cheese begin to melt and the spinach begins to wilt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil. Serve pasta with a nice chunk of bread and side salad.