Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Recipe is a flavorful vegetarian pasta dish mixing healthy veggies with roasted red peppers and creamy buffalo mozzarella.
Hello there and happy Monday!
I hope you had a fabulous weekend. The weather in Chicago was beautiful and we spent much needed time outside. Oh how I missed vitamin D. We also spent a lot of our weekend packing up for our trip to Europe! I can’t believe it is here. I have mixed feelings–obviously very excited to go but sad to leave my little one behind. I know he is in good hands though! 🙂
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Now on to something I will be eating a lot of in Italy. Pasta. Oh, pasta….how I love you so. I could eat you every day if I knew you wouldn’t add 15 lbs. to my waist.
But eating it once a week is a good balance right? It is in my house. Pasta dishes are a good option for a busy day because of the simplicity of many pasta dishes.
The first time I made this dish I actually roasted the red peppers myself, which I highly recommend if you have the time. Then the second time I was exhausted and wanted to make this recipe even easier so I bought roasted red peppers in the jar. Either way works great, but I do have to say I slightly prefer the flavor of roasting the peppers yourself.
If you are looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love (I sound like a commercial!) this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta recipe is for you. You have the freedom to add healthy things like veggies, and sometimes your husband and son won’t even notice. 😉Print
A flavorful pasta dish mixing veggies and roasted red peppers with a creamy buffalo mozzarella mixed in.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz whole wheat rigatoni pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup roasted bell peppers, chopped (roasted red peppers from the jar; if roasting peppers yourself use 2, halved of any color)
- 1–6oz bag of fresh spinach
- 1 small zucchini ends removed, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (the yellow rind of the lemon zested)
- 6 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella (you can use shredded, pearls or a chunk sliced)
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano
- Optional: garnish with fresh chopped basil.
- If you choose to roast your own peppers you will want to start with that before making the pasta dish. You will want to roast your peppers while you cook the rest of your pasta dish.
- In a large pot boil water and cook pasta according to directions, drain and reserve 1/4 cup liquid from pasta. Run pasta under cold water and set aside.
- Put 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and sauté the garlic for 2 minutes stirring, until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes and a dash of salt and pepper and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently until zucchini and tomatoes begins to soften.
- Add the roasted peppers, oregano and pasta and 1/4 cup olive oil and continue to cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the mozzarella, spinach and lemon zest, mix well letting the cheese begin to melt and the spinach begins to wilt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped basil. Serve pasta with a nice chunk of bread and side salad.
Head to A Spicy Perspective to learn how to roast the peppers yourself.